Goals & Objectives » Business Standards Division Goals
Business Standards Division
The Business Standards Division establishes and enforces minimum building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical, energy, elevator, and boiler codes as well as licenses, inspects, tests, and certifies all weighing or measuring devices used in commercial transactions. The Division is also charged with licensing and regulating persons and businesses engaged in specific professions and occupations.
2015 Biennium Business Standards Division Goals and Objectives
Building Codes Bureau
||Protect the health and safety of the public, employees, and prospective building owners in the state.
Enforce and adopt appropriate minimum building codes to promote construction of safe, energy efficient, and accessible buildings and building components including elevators and boilers.
||Provide prompt, courteous, and efficient service to building owners, design professionals, contractors, and trade persons.
- Review and approve building plans, including factory built buildings within 2 weeks.
- Issue plumbing, mechanical, and electrical permits within 1 day of application.
- Issue passenger elevator and boiler permits within 3 weeks.
Weights and Measures Bureau
||Assure equity in all commercial transactions.
- On an annual basis test, inspect, and certify 90% all scales, retail and wholesale meters, and Liquid Propane Gas dispensers used commercially in Montana.
- Test for net-content compliance, 2,000 pre-packed packages on an annual basis.
- Investigate all complaints concerning fuel quality.
Business and Occupational Licensing and Health Care Licensing Boards
||Protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public through the oversight of health care and professional occupations.
Provide boards with sufficient administrative support to:
- Assist and advise boards in developing statutes and establishing rules to address safe practice and appropriate conduct of each health care professional.
- Support and improve online licensing functions for all licensing boards and programs.
- Investigate allegations of licensee incompetence, negligence, and unlicensed practice;
- Impose fair and appropriate sanctions, based upon consistent findings of facts, practices, or omissions that are not in compliance with the statutes and rules regulating the profession; and
- BSD will provide excellent customer service to licensees and the public to allow the boards to fulfill the statutory duties and responsibilities.
Business Standards Division Accomplishments
Business Standards Division Website: http://bsd.dli.mt.gov/